Rutledge Percussion Clinic May 2023
Lenard Rutledge teaches beginning percussion students technique and proficiency. A Miami native, he began his musical career as a percussionist. In the 2022/23 school year, he taught this multi-class program at Madison Middle School.
The program includes a solid foundation of music education specific to percussion, including:
- The importance of traditional and match grip
- Mastering the most useful rudiments
- Counting and reading rhythms
- Techniques for different musical situations
- Intro to timpani, xylophone and drum set
- Intro to drumline performance techniques
- The importance of individual practice
- Practicing smart for faster results
It also includes audio and video progress reports for the students.
A Miami native, Rutledge began his music career as a percussionist, playing in the marching and concert band at Miami Central Senior High, and later making his income while attending Saint Augustine’s University in Raleigh, North Carolina. He began his vocal career in 1997 with the famed Melton Mustafa Orchestra. He was their featured vocalist for seven years. Rutledge has shared the stage with many highly respectable jazz artists including Wycliffe Gordon, Kenny Drew Jr., Dee Dee Bridgewater, Kirk Whalum, Marion Meadows and the late George Duke. He also sings with the choir at The Church of The Incarnation. His vocals, reminiscent of Lou Rawls, combine a classy elegance with a raw passion.
MADISON MIDDLE SCHOOL
- Schelvin Robinson, Band Director
- Anthony E. Simons III, Principal