Saturday, April 17
10:30 am – 12:00 pm
High School Students
At this free improvisation master class, explore playing the Blues with Dan Miller. Topics include:
- how to improvise utilizing the so-called blues scale, with swinging rhythm, including eighth notes and eighth note triplets
- how to utilize quotations from blues heads as part of the melodic material in your solos, learning the rhythm of the music
- the three Dominant 7th chords (I, IV, V) that make up the chord progression of the Blues
- learning and internalizing strong Dominant Seventh phrases as well as introducing Dominant 7th Bebop Scale lines
- learning the solos of the great masters of this music by ear
Since 2005, Dan Miller has split his time between New York City and Florida. He is currently a member of the Naples Philharmonic Jazz Orchestra and the musical director of the Naples Philharmonic Youth Jazz Orchestra. He is a Yamaha Clinician and Performing Artist and works with college bands, high school bands and private students nationwide. He is an Artist-in-Residence and Jazz Trumpet Instructor for the University of Central Florida’s School of Performing Arts in Orlando.
[ CLICK HERE to Register ]
Online access links will be sent to you.
HAPCO programs give young people real-world experience and education from professionals they can relate to. We are building futures through music and arts education in Florida, Georgia and Texas. HAPCO provides clinics, camps, classes, an instrument donation program and LIVE performances.